Founded in 1850, the Town of Dobson came about as a result of the geographical division of Surry County by the North Carolina General Assembly. A central site was needed for a new county seat, so a courthouse was completed in 1853. The Town was named in honor of William Polk Dobson, a State Senator from Surry County who died in 1846.
The Town was incorporated in 1891 and, since that year, has had a municipal government. A
second courthouse was built on the site of the old one in 1916; the second courthouse was
remodeled in 1971. The development of Surry Community College in the 1960′s and the
construction of new public schools in the 1960′s and 1980′s have helped Dobson to maintain
its status as a governmental service center. Surry County government offices are also located
within the corporal limits of the Town of Dobson.
Dobson has had its share of notable residents, including Tabitha Ann Holton, the first licensed
female lawyer in the southern United States. Holton was licensed in 1878 and practiced law in
Dobson until 1886. Roy H. Park is another of Dobson’s famous residents. Park was a famous
broadcaster and entrepreneur who graduated from Dobson High School. Park owned several
companies and in 1993 made the Forbes list of the top 40 wealthiest people in the United
For more detailed information on the Town of Dobson, view or 2010 demographics here.
Dobson Demo Income