The Town of Dobson is open for business! As the county seat, Dobson offers a good consumer base for a variety of businesses. Dobson is also home to Surry Community College, which is committed to serving the businesses of the community.

The college helps to facilitate a connection between employers and employees, whether it is in job placement through Career Services or workforce training through Corporate and Continuing Education.

Businesses in Dobson are also served by the Yadkin Valley Chamber of Commerce, which opened up a division of its Chamber in Dobson in 2010. Their offices are located at 124 W. Kapp Street. 333.356.5555.

We are glad to hear that you are considering starting a business in Dobson. Starting a business can be an intensive process as you may need to comply with Federal, state, and local regulations. However, don’t fret. There are endless resources at your disposal and this community would love to see you succeed. Below is some basic information we hope you will find helpful, also please feel free to call Dobson Town Hall at 336.356.8962 for further assistance.

If your business is going to have sales, a Sales & Use Tax number is required. If your business is going to have employees, a Federal Employer Identification number and a North Carolina Withholding number are needed. Applications for both numbers are available from the North Carolina Department of Commerce website. The Department of Commerce also offers many other services to help businesses get off the ground.

There are various ways in which a business can organize itself. Sole proprietorships and partnerships must be filed with the Surry County Register of Deeds, which can be contacted at 336.401.8150. You will also have to register in any other counties in which you will operate. Corporations must file a form called the Articles of Incorporation with the North Carolina Secretary of State Corporations Division, which can be contacted at 919.807.2255. An attorney is recommended to insure that all legal issues are properly handled.

The Small Business Administration (800.827.5722) can provide you will helpful loan information and local banks may also be a good source for business loans. The Department of Commerce may also be able to point you in the right direction.

There are a number of available commercial properties in Dobson. You may also be considering building a new structure to house your business. Before you spend any money specific to a particular location, it is very important that you contact the Surry County Planning Department (336.401.8350) to make sure that the type of business you wish to conduct is acceptable at that location even if it is your home. Do not start to build, buy items to start your business, or sign a lease only to later find out your business is prohibited. The Town’s Zoning Ordinance [INTERNAL LINK TO: Government > Departments > Planning & Development > anchor to Zoning Ordinance PDF] is available on the Dobson website but we strongly suggest you let Planning staff assist you. The Planning Department will be able to get you in contact with the right people in the Inspections Department (336.401.8300) when the time comes.

  • Privilege License - To conduct business in town you will need a Privilege License. Call Town Hall 336.356.8962 for assistance in obtaining your privilege license or download a PDF of the Privilege License Application. [INSERT PDFicon.png] [LINK TO PRIVAPP.pdf] Please note that the fee for a Privelege License varies depending on the type of business, please call for details.
  • Peddler’s License Application [INSERT PDFicon.png] [LINK TO PeddlersLicenseApplication.pdf]

Remember, once you’ve opened your business that you are now a part of the Dobson business community. A membership in the Yadkin Valley Chamber of Commerce (336.526.1111) is your gateway into this community. It may also be advisable to contact the Dobson Police Department at 336.356.8161 to discuss any public safety concerns specific to your business.